Tag Archives: Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition

On Omaha’s “Streets of Cairo” in 1898

The best-known photographs of Omaha’s 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition feature the elegant Grand Court (which looked even more spectacular at night, thanks to an unprecedented use of electric lighting). But next to the Grand Court was the not-so-elegant Midway, … Continue reading

FacebookDeliciousLinkedInTwitterStumbleUponGoogle BookmarksDiggLiveJournalShare
Posted in Nebraska History, Photograph Collection, Publications | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Lights, Please

For someone living today, it is hard to imagine the splendor of seeing electric lights for the first time. When the Grand Court of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition lit up on June 1, 1898, thousands were treated to their … Continue reading

FacebookDeliciousLinkedInTwitterStumbleUponGoogle BookmarksDiggLiveJournalShare
Posted in Nebraska History, Publications | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Lost in the Mail: Soldiers’ Photographs from the Civil War

The spring of 1898 saw preparations well underway for the opening later that year of the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in Omaha. The Omaha Daily Bee reported on May 2 that exhibit installation in the U.S. Government Building was “in … Continue reading

FacebookDeliciousLinkedInTwitterStumbleUponGoogle BookmarksDiggLiveJournalShare
Posted in Publications | Tagged , , | Leave a comment