Built in 1928-1929, the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Bridge spanned the Missouri River at Blair, Nebraska, and created the “Lincoln Highway Cut-Off.” Funding from the federal and state governments was not available at the time, so several residents of Blair established a private corporation known as “The Nebraska-Iowa Bridge Corporation.” The corporation raised money by selling stock in the proposed toll bridge. The corporation issued the following promotional brochure to show progress on the bridge in order to raise the remainder of the funds necessary to complete construction (click to enlarge).
The toll bridge remained in service until 1962, when it was opened to the public at no cost. After more than fifty years of service, the aging bridge was replaced in 1991. For more information about the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Bridge and other historic bridges around Nebraska, see the publication, Spans in Time: A History of Nebraska Bridges, edited by James E. Potter and L. Robert Puschendorf. The book is currently out of print, but copies are available in the NSHS Library (non-circulating), as well as numerous other libraries around the state.
-Tom Mooney, Curator of Manuscripts