In 1940, Columbus, Nebraska, erected two arches along Highway 30 to welcome visitors to the city. One, shown above, stood at 23rd Street and 23rd Avenue north of town. The other stood at the north end of the viaduct near 13th Street and 33rd Avenue. Both are long gone, but older residents remember them.
Below is another view of the 23rd Street arch, showing more of “Camp De Luxe.” The label notes that this is where the highway enters the city from the east; the top photo is looking east, out of town (notice how we see the back sides of billboards). The bottom photo is looking northeast. Today this stretch of highway is four lanes wide and lined with retail businesses.
—David Bristow, Associate Director / Publications