The Crete Mills at Crete, Nebraska, began as a tiny water-powered sawmill located on the Big Blue River at the southern edge of what became the town of Crete in Saline County. Converted to flour milling in 1870, the building was destroyed by fire in 1880 and re-built by 1882. Following another fire in 1912, a major re-building program was undertaken. In 1919 construction began on the mill at rail side in downtown Crete. By 1921 the flour mill was completed and in operation. In 1929 a feed mill was constructed, a corn mill built in 1936, and another large feed mill added in 1949.
In 1953 the Crete Mills were purchased by the Lauhoff Grain Company of Danville, Illinois. In 1963 Lauhoff sold the Crete Mills to Cargill. The Crete Mills are currently (as of 2011) owned and operated by Bunge Milling which is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.
One of The Crete Mills’ most popular brands was that of Victor Flour. Here are various examples of advertising put out by The Crete Mills.
The Library/Archives division holds a substantial collection of business records relating to the operation of The Crete Mills. The collection consists of over 100 boxes of records, including correspondence, sales records, account ledgers, railroad shipping records, etc. For more information, contact the Library/Archives Division.
-Tom Mooney, Curator of Manuscripts